E-Rule 1: Definitions
(a) For the purposes of these E-Rules:
(1) The term "CM/ECF" means Case Management/Electronic Case Filing. CM/ECF is an automated system for case management and document filing.
(2) The term "electronic signature" refers to an electronic symbol attached to or associated with an electronic document and executed or adopted with the intent to sign the document. The electronic signature shall be positioned on a document in the place where a signature would normally appear. To indicate the authority of the signatory, the electronic signature will typically be followed by the typed name and title of the signatory. The following is an example of how a document with an electronic signature will generally appear:
/s/ John S. Doe
John S. Doe, Attorney
(3) The term "CM/ECF User" means a registered CM/ECF participant (party or representative).
(4) The term "locked" means that an electronic file will be inaccessible to the public and only accessible to CM/ECF Users in a particular case.
(5) The term "log-in" means the password and username issued to each CM/ECF User.
(6) The term "Notice of Docket Activity" means an electronic notification generated by the CM/ECF system that is transmitted by email to all parties and representatives for that case. This Notice of Docket Activity constitutes "notice" and "service" to all CM/ECF Users who have registered for electronic filing participation in a particular case.
(7) The term "official record" means the electronic version of a document that is stored by the Court within the CM/ECF system, which is time and date-stamped by CM/ECF when filed.
(8) The term "password" means a sequence of characters and letters used to verify the authenticity of a CM/ECF User's log-in.
(9) The term "PDF" means portable document format. PDF is a universal electronic file format designed to allow documents to be viewed, navigated, and printed from any computer.
(10) The term "personal identifier" means a Social Security number, date of birth, financial account number, or name of a minor child. It is each CM/ECF User's responsibility to redact personal identifiers from any documents filed electronically that are not designated as locked documents.
(11) The term "pro bono limited appearance" refers to participation by a pro bono representation program for purposes of filing a motion for stay of proceedings, pursuant to Rule 5 of the Court's Rules of Practice and Procedure. U.S. VET. APP. R. 5.
(12) The term "single consolidated document" means the electronic conversion of multiple documents into one word processing document that will become the single PDF document.
(13) The term "Non-CM/ECF User" means a self-represented or other party exempted by the Court from using the CM/ECF system.